Thursday, April 28, 2011

Current Gaming

Well, it's been a while since I wrote up one of these here "Current Gaming" posts, so let's just dive right in!

Currently my gaming time has been split between Skate 3 on the ps3 and Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS.

Now, I know what you're thinking - "Skate 3? That's hardly new!" - And you know what? You're right, it's not. But, when i saw it in the discount bin for $15, i figured why not give the franchise that's pretty much taken Tony Hawk's crown a spin?

Right off the bat, Skate 3's system for pulling off tricks is refreshing to me. You basically use the right thumb stick to perform fighting-game like stick movements, which end up translating into all the various skateboard tricks you'd expect in such a title. It actually ends up feeling really smooth and fluid - I'm really liking it.

The graphics are pretty top notch and do the game justice. I've yet to have a chance to try the online parts of the game, due to PSN being down.

Anyway - If you've enjoyed old school Tony Hawk games, and happen to find this title for cheap, check it out!

Then there is the ever-present Super Street Fighter 4 3D. This is the reason I purchased a 3DS at launch, and ever since it's pretty much been my #1 title on the 3DS. I'm still pretty blown away with the fact that Capcom managed to fit a full featured, online enabled Street Fighter into a handheld. Graphically, I feel SSF43D totally holds its own when compared to the home and arcade versions. (OH and FYI - If you go into the game settings menu, and disable 3D all together - you'll get a nice boost to 60fps in single player mode. It's actually really noticeable!).

SSF43D's online play is about as perfect an experience as one could expect on a portable system. Playing with both random strangers and friends is very simple, and I've only run into really laggy matches maybe two or three time.

SSF43D, in my opinion really comes off as the most polished and complete of the 3DS launch titles - between online play, the streetpass battles (which are FUN!), and the jaw dropping graphics, this is a 3DS title that should be in everyone's collection.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops map pack. I really need to jump in on a few rounds of COD before it launches to get back into the swing of things. The Call of the Dead Zombie map also really looks amazing, I can't wait to give that a try.

I also need to make some time to play Portal 2, I've heard nothing but great things about it so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment