Sunday, May 15, 2011

Current Gaming

So I seem to be back in an RPG phase. I picked up a cheap, used copy of Dragon Quest IX for the DS (playing it on my 3DS of course) yesterday and it is really scratching this itch I've had for a classic JRPG. Currently, I've got about 4.5hrs sunk into it and I can tell you that if you're looking for an innovative JRPG, this is not for you.


DQ9 is a classic turn based RPG, you can choose to attack with weapons, use items or cast spells. Seriously, there isn't anything here that any RPG vet hasn't seen before. This is not a bad thing - it's catering to a specific part of the market, and doing so very well.

DQ9 really shines graphically. It's a fully 3D game that really appears to have pushed the DS' hardware to it's limit. The animation is smooth and fluid, but you will notice it's age after playing some of the current 3DS titles. I do hope a new Dragon Quest title comes to the 3DS - the new hardware could make for a spectacular title.

I've also resumed playing the latest in one of my favorite RPG series - Gran Turismo 5. With the help of a friend, I've managed to get each license test cleared. This has leveled me up, opening up better paying races - which of course has lead to more and better cars. Good times.

'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment