Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PSN Outage - Update from SCEA "...at least a few more days"

Here's the latest direct from the source:

I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

"...at least a few more days"?

Ok, I am officially confused as hell. Bloomberg first reports all services will be restored by May 31st, then Sony jumps out to calm everyone down by re-assuring us that online multi-player is the top priority and will likely come back first, and now this 3 sentence update... What in the hell is actually going on here?

At this point, Sony is painted into a corner. The community is demanding more frequent updates, but at the end of the day the only update the community REALLY wants to hear is "PSN services have been restored" - All other updates just stir up the pot even more. It's a no-win situation, but I can't really bring myself to feel bad for Sony after all this.

I don't want Sony nor the PS3 to fail (really, I don't!), but something has got to give. I don't know if anyone care actually predict the long-term damage this downtime will result in, but I can say for sure that it will not be pretty. You're under a pretty hard deadline here Sony (imo that deadline is really E3) - If PSN isn't online and 100% functional by E3, all the free PSN content in the world won't be able to change how gamers will perceive your service as weak and lesser than the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment