Monday, May 9, 2011

Will a 3rd generation Xbox be teased at E3 2011?

Recently there has been a rumor spreading around that EA has next-generation Xbox development kits in-house.

EA, of course, denies this rumor (probably due to an NDA or twelve)...

However!

In March, new data revealed Microsoft was at the early stages in building the successor to the Xbox 360.

The platform owner had advertised new job vacancies such as Graphics Hardware Architect and Performance Engineer for the Xbox Console Architecture Group.

Microsoft’s new hires will be “responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation,” the company said.

The language of the job vacancies suggested a reveal for the console is years away, but Develop’s source says a shock reveal could be weeks away.

“Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June [At E3]? It doesn’t want to lose momentum. That’s why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3.”

Microsoft was in fact first out of the gate this generation, so I can understand how they may have a leg up on the next. Also worth noting is how the Xbox 360 is made up of 100% Microsoft owned IP (unlike the original Xbox) - This will be the 2nd time MS has created it's own game console from scratch and I'd be willing to bet they've learned from the mistakes of the early 360 launch.

If this rumor is true, and if MS is planning to tease a next-gen Xbox, i do wish that this new system will be fully backwards compatible with my existing 360 library. I have a feeling this might be far easier to pull off for MS compared to running original Xbox titles on the 360. I also expect some sort of simple method for moving my gamertag to this new platform - but that's a no-brainer at this point (full disclosure time: I didn't have an original Xbox for very long and never set up an original XBL account. From what I understand however, moving the original XBL account to the 360 was pretty painless).

So the big question I'm left with... How will MS make the next-gen Xbox better than the 360?

I can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment